Monday, November 23, 2009

Mary Hickman, Mary Hickman


Because of the close proximity of our houses, it is not unusual for my family to cross paths on the streets of Bryan-College Station. We may see each other at an intersection and wave or perhaps pass by each other on the road and honk. Today though, I came up behind my mother. I knew it was her instantly, carefully driving her cute little blue caddie. Her license plates read BH12CK. I don’t typically memorize or pay attention plate numbers anymore. In fact, I couldn’t begin to tell you what mine reads. (Remember the days when you had to know your plate number when you bought gas?) But, my dad’s family nickname is Bud so I remember my mom telling my kids you could remember her plate number because it stood for Bud Hickman has 12 chicks. Something I never really understood since he doesn’t have 12 chicks.

As I was driving behind her today it occurred to me it really should stand for Bud Hickman’s 12th Man Chick. My mother truly represents the spirit of the Texas A&M 12th Man when it comes to my dad and our family. She is suited up ready to go into the game at all times. There is one huge difference between my mother and E. King Gill. She doesn’t just stand on the sidelines ready to go into the game; my mother actually enters the game! For my dad, she stands by his side encouraging him, remembering names, and truly supporting him at home and at his job. For our family, she is always willing to serve in any capacity we need. I can’t think of anything my mother wouldn’t do for one of us at the drop of a hat.

She truly represents a Christian servant. So, as we prepare the table for Thanksgiving, I just want everyone know how thankful I am that Mary Hickman is my mom. The Hickman, Barrett, Ashfield’s true 12th Man wife, mom and grandmother!!

1 comment:

Trey said...

Ok...for some reason I am just reading this today. I love Bud Hickman's 12th Man Chick! This is wonderful.