Friday, August 15, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog!

Blog by definition is an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page. When my sister-in-law Stormy started to blog, (It is such a stupid word don't you think?), it was natural for her. She is an English teacher after all. She teaches students to write, so of course she could blog in public. It would be grammatically correct with compound sentences, interesting adjectives, periods, commas and semicolons all in their correct places. And besides she has two of the most entertaining children to write about. Then it occurred to me, she is recording her family history; accounting for those little details that as we get older, we forget. I want to do that for my family. That is what good moms do. They remember with love the events of our past, whether good or bad, significant or not so significant. So with that in mind, I have made the decision to jump on the blog train and begin recording the events of our family.

Today was one of those significant days. Jackie closed on her first house today. (Nathan closed on his house in May.) It is hard to believe my babies are old enough to have their own homes. I remember the day they were born like yesterday. There were certainly those long days of children screaming, changing an incessant amount of diapers, and sleepless nights that I thought they would never grow up. But then one day it happens, you turn around and they are full fledged adults, dependent adults, but adults all the same. They have their own thoughts and ideas on how to do everything. They have that "I can take on the world" attitude and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. But then just when I am ready to let the waterworks begin, my job is done, it happens. I am reminded they are still young, they have a lot to learn and quite possibly still need their mom.

I called Jackie to make sure she knew where the title company was located. At first, there was a silence, as if she were trying to recall its location. The title company had moved, so I responded quickly so she wouldn't waste time recalling its old location. I gave her a familiar reference and reminded her of the appointed time. You know, just in case she needed the reminder even though it was one of the biggest events of her life. It was at this moment Jackie, my smart but always literal child responded, "I am glad you called, I thought we closed at the house." A wave of pure joy came over me, she still needed me. She needed my wisdom, the kind that comes with years of experience. Gone are the days of telling her what to do, when to come home, even sometimes what to wear. I have to share with her adult to adult. I realize I must walk through the door marked the "next phase of motherhood." Although it will be hard, I will walk through the door without tears because today I realized her little adult self still needs me.

3 comments:

Trey said...

Great "blog"! Keep recording your family history for me to enjoy!

donna said...

LOVE your entry. I look forward to the day that our "six" have children of their own, you and I are on a beach in the tropics and they call to say, "When are you coming home? I need some help with the kids." We never stop needing our moms...just look at the two of us with Mary and Gayle!

StormyHickman said...

YAY! This is wonderful. And well-written with good grammar! ;)